Chicken Pot Pie
Enjoy this wholesome Chicken Pot Pie served in our mini cocotte. This recipe serves 4 people so why not treat yourself or a loved one to our special limited edition set of 4 flame cocottes.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 4 chicken breasts
- 7 oz (1 ¼ sticks) sweet butter
- 4 carrots
- 3/4 cup pearl onions
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsps unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup of peas
- 1 tsp parsley chopped fine
- 1 frozen pre-rolled puff pastry dough
- 2 egg yolks beaten with 1 tsp of milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
Tip: Replace the green peas with 7 oz of fresh asparagus tips cut into 1 inch chunks, and you have a gourmet variation on this classic dish!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the chicken breasts on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and baste with 1 oz of softened butter. Salt and pepper generously. Bake for 20 minutes. When the chicken is cooked through, cut it into large chunks.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into small dice. Peel the pearl onions. In a small sauce pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil then set aside.
- In a large casserole: melt the remaining 6 oz of butter. Cook the pearl onions for 10 to 15 minutes slowly over a low flame, until they are translucent and caramelized. Add the flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes stirring continuously. Add the hot chicken stock. Let it simmer for 1 minute till the sauce begins to thicken and loses the taste of flour. Add the half and half, 1 teaspoon of salt, a half teaspoon of ground pepper, the chunks of chicken, the diced carrots, the peas, and the parsley. Give it a good stir.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F.
- Divide the preparation into 4 mini cocottes. Cut 4 circles of puff pastry dough slightly larger than the mini cocottes. Moisten the edges of the cocottes with the egg wash. Place one circle on each filled cocotte, pressing down around to seal the dough circle. Cut a small hole in the center to make a steam vent.
- With a pastry brush, coat the dough tops with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.