Flank Steak with Thai Marinade
From Rose Reisman's "Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss"
Flank steak is one of the leanest cuts of meat you can eat and is absolutely delicious. I use it for sandwiches and substitute it for other cuts of steak. For the most tender result, marinate the beef for a minimum of 2 hours and preferably overnight. You can also enjoy the marinade as a sauce with the dinner if you boil it for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime of lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp fish or oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp hot Asian chili sauce
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups sliced red bell peppers
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
1. To make the marinade, in a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and chili sauce. Place the steak in a large dish and pour the marinade overtop. Marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. In a nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for 5 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In Grill pan or barbecue sprayed with vegetable spray and preheated to high, grill the steak for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or just until done to your preference. Reserve the marinade.
4. Combine the reserved marinade with the cornstarch until blended. Add to the vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Slice the steak against the grain and serve with the sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
* Recipe courtesy of: Rose Reisman's "Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss" 2005, Whitecap Books, page 187
Swiss Diamond Pans
Cook your flank steak to perfection using a professional quality Swiss Diamond fry pan. Swiss Diamond products use the natural properties of diamonds to conduct heat quickly and efficiently.
Try out the new Cuisipro Tongs for flipping your steak.